Monday, July 18, 2011

July 17, 2011: Big Creek Mission



July 17th SECOND DAY! (Nate’s Birthday woo!)
Today we were introduced to Big Creek Missions. After one fun baseball game and a day of beautiful landscape that replaced rock-climbing, we’ve finally arrived. Everyone down here in Kentucky seems to be super friendly and happy to meet us. Everyone is excited to worship God and get real about faith. Some ideas and beliefs may be a little different than ours. We take in what they say with open minds and the thought that in the end, we’re all here to do God’s work. I’m excited to help the community and live faithfully. I think that some of us are feeling a little anxious about the preaching and ideas, but I truly believe that this will be a wonderful and necessary week in all our lives! - Jamie


July 17, 2011,
Today started out with a rainy trip to a rock climbing place. At first it was not very fun because everything was wet, but once we walked around and saw everything it was actually a very nice time. The views were beautiful. Today was also the day that we arrived at the Big Creek Mission place. I knew coming in that this would be a different experience with things that I have never experienced before and that I may feel uncomfortable but I felt that I was willing to risk my safe feelings of home to try to help others. I also thought it would be a good experience to have before I went off to college. I know that I will be meeting new people with different backgrounds and beliefs and know that I need to become more open to things like this. When we started the worship services I started feeling a little awkward because it was very different from how I pray and whatnot. I started off not participating in the prayers or the songs because it wasn’t what I was used to and I didn’t exactly know how to make it correlate into my beliefs. As we continued, I started participating more because I know that we are all praying to the same God, just in different ways. When the worship leader was teaching it was a little difficult to keep focused because sometimes I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. As we were leaving, I was kind of concerned as to how I would follow my beliefs while trying to keep up with all that I was learning about other things. When we went into our church groups though, my fears and concerns were soon gone when we all started talking about our days. I realized that everyone is having difficulty with the teachings and expectations at the worksites, it wasn’t just me. It was nice to find this common ground with everyone and I feel that I can make everything work out. - Anna

No comments: