Wednesday, July 20, 2011

July 20 (Miranda's B-Day!)



July 20, 2011

Howdy y’all! I’m in a community group and today we were supposed to go to Compassionate Hearts, an adult daycare, BUT there was some kind of complication so instead we did random acts of kindness. This includes sorting a whole bunch of clothes Big Creek Missions is donating (and trying on some of the more ridiculous outfits), and going around to construction and kid groups to hand out cold water. While we were at a construction site, some local kids were taking their kitten and trying to put it in wet concrete! It was horrible! That kitten was honestly SO cute! Not only was it adorable looking, but it also came up to me and started purring when I pet it and let me hold it and it curled up next to me!!!! I wanted to take it home SO much, but I don’t think my dad would appreciate another cat in the house. See dad? I’m the best daughter EVER!!!!!! ~Stasia Rogers

Today was amazing! I’m in the children group, so this week I’m working at day camps. Each day the kids get closer and closer to us, and you can see the trust they have in us building. My specific day camp is in a town called Pennington Hills. Unfortunately, the city is full of drugs and crime. However, that only makes anything we can do to help them and love them that much better. When we got there today, we fed the kids lunch and jumped right into games. The first, “Duck Duck Splash”, is an awesome version of the game “Duck Duck Goose”, but instead of goose you splash a cup of water on the person! It was a great game for the 90 degree day. We went on to play on the swings for over an hour, giving countless underdogs until it felt like we could hardly raise our arms above our shoulders. Arts and crafts, tag, and shoulder rides also took up a large part of the day. After coming along to pick up the kids from their homes yesterday, I could feel that my attitude towards them had completely changed. As we picked them up, kids were sitting outside their small homes. Some, we knew, were way too small to support the eight or ten people living inside. The image of kids racing towards the van, smiles spread from cheek to cheek, is not one I think I’ll forget anytime soon. It made it that much easier to give them ten shoulder rides instead of five and thirty underdogs instead of fifteen. I know the week and our time with the kids will just keep getting better and better, and I can’t wait to spend more time with the kids! The time with S.T.A.G.E. and everyone else back at the base is really special as well. The week has been awesome so far! We’ll keep you updated! ~Moriah Moore

During my day at Turkey Foot which is a holler where they are all related somehow or in some way there was a copperhead by the creek where it was laying in the grass. I told my leader that it was there and she told me to go up to the third house from the left for the man who lived there. He came out took a small stick and hit the snake on the head with precision and killed it instantly. He then walked over to it said “thanks” and briskly walked back inside his home. I am expecting a snake skin wallet of some sort tomorrow from him. - Eric McChesney

No comments: