Thursday, July 18, 2013

Day 6 - Tendin' To the Garden




Thursday, Day 6 I think
It’s our last day at Youth Works and I don’t want to leave. The last two days my group has been gardening which has been awesome because I love gardening! We weeded a bunch and beautified a garden. The boys in our group seem to be the hardest workers. A woman running the garden told us she didn’t want us to work all day in the heat, but we just left to go to another site. We ended up meeting up with another group on a farm/camp. I have been so in touch with nature the whole week and it is breath taking. I love getting my hands dirty, literally. I gardened so much and was given the name “the barefoot worker” at our site yesterday. I really feel like I am doing a lot of work because I can see it physically and emotionally through the people I meet. I keep thinking that our group can’t get closer or the trips can’t get better but they always do. I love all the freshman so much and I am so excited that I get to spend one more year with them. I also am very inspired to lead like the staff of Youth Works. I love everyone here so much and I am so upset that we’re leaving, but I AM SO EXCITED TO GO WHITE WATER RAFTING! We just have to come back right after. Is there a way I could just sign up for every week? It’s pretty warm here, but I don’t really mind. We have gotten a chance to go swimming and it feels extra refreshing because of the temperature. I actually heard that there was an excessive heat warning in Royal Oak at 94 degrees; try 100 while gardening all day! I feel like I should say I want to come home in case my parents are reading this, but I really can’t. I wish I could stay longer. I hope Michigan isn’t too hot. See you soon!

Jamie 


July…uhm….18, 2013
Day 6, youth works mission trip in… new york.
  It’s been a terribly hot day I must say. Why I also believe that it seems to be “Saint Pirate’s day”, so set sail me mateys or ye walk the plank! aaaaahahahahah!  Swab the poop deck you bilge rats!  Scallywags! yahrrrrr!  be bucko!
But in any rate, the heat was nearly unbearable this day for I had to take many water breaks in ye olde shade of the tree next to the table from whereth we eateth. As I drinketh my cold water in ye olde shade under the tree from whereth we eateth,  I remember earlier in the day, working the garden from which was grown for the community with the name of…Outreach. Our job was to help a lady of a kind nature named Herda of Germany, by helping her rid of the unwanted plants in this highly organized garden of vegetables of various kinds. We had restored the quality of the garden by easily over nine-thousand…percent. Later in the day of heat called Thursday we moved on to a camp called the Jesus is Lord camp, we assisted those who were already at work, restoring tables for picnics, adding mulch to the many gardens, and tending the chickens.
‘twas a great day indeed.

~Tyler Vincent


No comments: