Monday, July 19, 2010

Day Two...

Thoughts and ponderings......

Today was absolutely unpredictable. We came into this game wondering if the children would like us, or if we got the right words to our songs, or even when to start arts and crafts. However, the children bloomed like flowers when they saw us. We quickly realized we’d have 14 new best friends and a million more stories. Certain flowers had thorns at first, but after we talked and played we realized their true beauty. Throbbing hearts caused by our parents were soon forgotten from all the new friends and laughs we had.

Jamie

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The day started off with an early breakfast. I’ll admit having to get up with the roosters to be at breakfast by 7:15 was rough. It took a lot of mental encouragement seeing as we were up until about 11:30 the prior evening. Our group was split up into different work crews. The group I’m apart of are helping out with a program called Kids Club that Youth Works runs during the summer. The second group took a short drive to help clean, paint and weed a local home. I can’t speak of how their day went, but I can tell you about mine.

A light drizzling rain fell from the sky in the morning. I had the privilege of going with Ann Brown to pick up one of many groups of children who we were going to be hanging out with us youth for the day. We pulled up to a cluster of apartments, honked the horn a few times and yelled “Kids Club!” Seconds later a group of about 10 kids whipped around the corner. From the distance you could see the bright smiles on their faces. Ann and I just looked at each other and smiled. We didn’t really know what to say. As I watched the kids run to the car, I realized that God was lifting their spirits. To be able to leave their homes and hang out with us “older kids” for a few hours was incredible for them. As the children started to pile in the van, one girl stopped me. Her precious little face looked up at me from the ground. With her arms in the air, wanting me to pick her up, she asked if I would be her friend. I immediately said of course, lifted her in the air and helped her buckle up her seat belt. Alicia followed me around until 3pm, when it was time for her to leave back home again. I found my little 7 year old best friend today.

After all of the kids arrived, some said a quick little prayer for the sun to come out. God worked wonders on that first day of work. About an hour later you could see the sun beginning to come out from behind the clouds and shine down on us. The mission work ended at 3pm and everyone went off to take a shower. The evening activity for the day involved an interesting tour of Fort Steuben and a “Mural Scavenger Hunt” throughout the city. On our way to dinner at a local park, we passed Franciscan University of Steubenville. Before this trip I knew of Steubenville because of the University. It was cool to actually pass by and see the school’s entrance. After the Youth Works leaders ran a few activities, our 24 youth and 5 adults closed the evening with some group discussion time.

As you can see, today was a busy one. If I could take one moment away from this entire day it’d be that everything happens for a reason and we need to trust God that he has a plan for every decision he makes in our lives. Anastasia Rogers helped me with this little life lesson today. Anastasia, if you ever read this, thank you for letting me use you as an example! :) She had been hoping that she would be in the painting group. Anastasia said she wasn’t a fan of kids and really, really, really did not want to have to work with the Kid’s Club group. When we found out what type of mission work we’d be doing for the week, Anastasia was not too thrilled. Just looking at her you could see that she wanted to complain, but she held back the urge. At that moment, I looked at her and told her that God placed her in the group to work with children this week for a reason. Sometimes people wonder why God puts them in specific situation. I know that I often find myself asking God why certain things happen. Not knowing why things happen drives some crazy, but some learn to accept why things happen. The 24 high school students and 5 adults were brought here to Steubenville, Ohio by God for a reason.

I’m finally done! See you Saturday.
- Cydney

DSC_0383

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Geez, why did you write a whole essay