Saturday, July 12, 2014

2014 MTrip Prep... Under Construction

If you're like me, the day before a mission trip is almost entirely filled with "I feel like I'm forgetting something..." followed by aimlessly searching of the house for things to cram into my little carry-on.  When it comes down to it, I know all I really need is some trust (that I'll survive just fine if I forget "x" or "y") and the right attitude/mindset.

Mindset Goals:
1. I'm preparing to be focused on God's work and how God is gonna work on me.
2. I'm looking for ways God is working through others too.
3. I'm clearing out all the mental clutter that causes barriers to numbers 1 & 2

What gets in the way of embracing a heart for Service?  For me, there are always a few standard mental distractions I need to clear out in order for God to do some inner-construction this week...

- "I need to check my phone!  The world might stop turning without my inter-web input and what if its my turn in Words with Friends!"
- "Here I am mopping a floor.  I wanna build a house, dang it!"
- "These other people sure are weird.  Its a good thing I don't have a goofy accent..."
- "Why are we talking about God so much, we could be digging holes somewhere!"

If you're going on the trip, do me a favor and take 30 seconds tonight to stop you're frantic packing and just BE.  Reflect on why you're going on this trip.  Pray for a heart of service and ask for God to do some construction on you this week. 

If you're staying home this week, shoot up some prayers for safety, focus, and fun for all the youth and leaders.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Blessings on your week STAGE! Praying for you all and those you will partner with this week!

The McChesney Family said...

We are excited for you to use your talents and abilities doing this mission work. We are praying for a great week and safe return!
All of the McChesneys